Hi All

Welcome to my blog, as most of you know I was diagnosed with Bone Marrow Cancer in July 2008, after 6 months of treatment with Chemo and Steroids my cancer has reduced tremendously, I have now had a stem cell transplant which will keep the cancer dormant for longer, my stem cell treatment started on January 5th with Chemo and I had the transplant in March. I am now home but having to take life very slowly while my cells build up, I will be back to hospital several times over the next few months for blood tests and treatment.
Please feel free to pass this address to anyone and to add comments and join in to help keep me sane (or is it too late for that).
Thanks to all at Royal Liverpool Hospital who have made this year possible, and to all the staff who have worked so hard to eventually harvest the cells and the wonderful staff on the transplant unit, A special thanks to Jamie who is as daft as me when I need humour but an absolutely fantastic support from day one (shame he and most of the staff support LFC but I can't hold that against them).

Ivan 07957361356
ivan.thomason@ntlworld.com

7 April 2009

Strange Taste (Day 16/12)

During the last few nights sleep I have had a strange metal taste in my mouth, one night I even drempt that I was eating small pieces of metal. I have found out that this is one of the side effects of the chemo I have taken.
At the time of medicating the chemo the nurse did mention a metalic smell but I didn't smell it at the time, I DO NOW!!!!!!!!
I had more platelets and antibiotics last night, more blood tests to come this morning and then wait and see.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Ivan

    I was googling about the metal taste madness!!!!

    Apparently using plastic utensils can help mask the taste of metal I wonder if that`s mind over matter!! Do you use them at the hospital?

    Andrea - from Carlson

    ReplyDelete
  2. The problem is that the taste might come at 3 in the morning and then it joins the dream.
    We do use metal but have been assured that this taste will clear totally once the chemo is out of the system.
    (maybe they should ban metal knives and forks in case we go mad in isolation Ha Ha )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear not much you can do about that then at least it`s a short term thing..I`m sure the nurses`s and staff are keeping you entertained from what Averil said they sound like a great bunch it must make all the difference.

    I suppose you won`t be too bored tonight with Man utd playing, will you get to watch it? I am a Liverpool fan myself I guess your surrounded by Liverpool fan`s there

    ReplyDelete