Hi All

Welcome to my blog, as most of you know I was diagnosed with Bone Marrow Cancer in July 2008, after 6 months of treatment with Chemo and Steroids my cancer has reduced tremendously, I have now had a stem cell transplant which will keep the cancer dormant for longer, my stem cell treatment started on January 5th with Chemo and I had the transplant in March. I am now home but having to take life very slowly while my cells build up, I will be back to hospital several times over the next few months for blood tests and treatment.
Please feel free to pass this address to anyone and to add comments and join in to help keep me sane (or is it too late for that).
Thanks to all at Royal Liverpool Hospital who have made this year possible, and to all the staff who have worked so hard to eventually harvest the cells and the wonderful staff on the transplant unit, A special thanks to Jamie who is as daft as me when I need humour but an absolutely fantastic support from day one (shame he and most of the staff support LFC but I can't hold that against them).

Ivan 07957361356
ivan.thomason@ntlworld.com

19 March 2009

No Grapes Please

When I go into isolation I will not be allowed any salad or any fruit that can't be peeled because of the chance of bacteria on the skin (sounds good so far), hospital have a very strick food rule in the transplant area, most food is cooked in the transplant unit.
I have been advised that when I go in I can only take new books, not any borrowed from friends or the library, I am not even allowed flowers (you can smuggle chocolates to Averil though).

If you are moved to send me gifts but can't because of health reasons please feel free to make a small donation to my friends Cancer research sponsor form for "race for life" http://www.raceforlifesponsorme.org/dianesouthworth1

I know I have mentioned this before but the only reason I can have this treatment is because of Cancer Research.

6 comments:

  1. I will save my gift for you until you come home!! I can't risk buying chocolate because as much as I love you - I think I would probably eat it!!!! Kate xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the plug mate (that's three times I have called you mate now, I will have to stop it).

    I think I love your consultants and nurses, no salad, no fruit, how much better can the menu get? No veg?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This message is for Kate via your blog:

    Thanks for the sponsorship Kate, it really is very kind of you and both Ivan and I are extremely grateful. If I was you, I would buy some chocolate for Ivan before he comes out, try not to eat it for say, an hour tops, and then go for it! I won't tell anyone.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Diane - I think we were separated at birth - that the kind of thing I would do!!! xxxxx

    Sorry Ivan but i donated your chocolate money to Diane's fund.xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that diet sounds good to me - no fruit - no salad. Perhaps you will get plenty of chips and burgers - but they wont be as good as your barbecued ones!! Hope everything goes OK. I will be thinking of you - I am going to Nicola's and Norfolk this weekend but hopefully will keep in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope the dont starve you of all the good thinbgs in life whilst you are in the isolation unit Ivan. Hopefully you will be able to enjoy the food in there. Sure you will have lots of goodies smuggled into you. Good times wait when you get out.

    ReplyDelete