Hi All

Welcome to my blog, as most of you know I was diagnosed with Bone Marrow Cancer in July 2008, after 6 months of treatment with Chemo and Steroids my cancer has reduced tremendously, I have now had a stem cell transplant which will keep the cancer dormant for longer, my stem cell treatment started on January 5th with Chemo and I had the transplant in March. I am now home but having to take life very slowly while my cells build up, I will be back to hospital several times over the next few months for blood tests and treatment.
Please feel free to pass this address to anyone and to add comments and join in to help keep me sane (or is it too late for that).
Thanks to all at Royal Liverpool Hospital who have made this year possible, and to all the staff who have worked so hard to eventually harvest the cells and the wonderful staff on the transplant unit, A special thanks to Jamie who is as daft as me when I need humour but an absolutely fantastic support from day one (shame he and most of the staff support LFC but I can't hold that against them).

Ivan 07957361356
ivan.thomason@ntlworld.com

27 March 2009

The Stem Cells

They are all in now, 16 bags of my own stem cells back where they belong. It will take about 14 days +- for the cells to find their way home, no one seems to know how, but they do, so we will go with that!!!!!!!
Its now the waiting game, I will probably feel a lot worse over the next few days and then start to improve when the cells settle down.

13 comments:

  1. Wow! Bit like homing pigeons really. Nobody knows how they find their way home, but they do. So now all you need to do is picture your stem cells as homing pigeons flying round your body finding their way to the coop* (coup*?), shed!
    It's good to be able to visualise medicines etc doing their business. I used to visualise my chemo as a herd of elephants stamping their way through the cancer cells. It worked for me, but then I lost the plot a long time ago!

    Anyway, good luck to you and pigeons. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope they took the stem cells out of the 14 bags before they put them in otherwise you soon will be feeling rotten!
    Ivan, can you ask Diane not to use the word 'shed' in such a flippant way. (Shed & pigeons!! What is she thinking about?) Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How many times can you enter the chocolate vote. I'm trying to ensure that the caramel wins!1
    What's the prize?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mick, no prize from me but Diane said if Fry's Chocolate Cream wins she will give you one oops buy you one.
    I will mention the shed but I am sure she will respond herself.
    Have you got my blog on your ipod or do you have to go to the PC?
    Ann tells me there might be a new PC on the way!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mick,
    1 vote per computer maybe Ann could vote on the ipod if she turned off the new game.
    Kate put on the Cadbury's Caramel so sure she will be delighted if it wins. Stil no prize from me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm on the computer. Ipod? Have I got one of those?

    ReplyDelete
  7. probably not. Whats Ann's high score? Have you got a high score yet????

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ivan, this has nothing to do with chocolate..... but I saw it this afternoon & found it amusing. Our teacher friends might enjoy it.
    http://www.teachers.tv/video/27331

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do wish you would be careful on how you phrase things Ivan, I don't want people voting for the wrong reason. It's bad enough that I said I would give everyone who voted a PIECE of Frys Chocolate Cream if the prize was a years supply of said bar and I won, without them expecting anything else.

    My apologies to Mike, I forgot he was a 'shedhead'! How's that for flippant? For a man who doesn't know his IPod from his Dongle, I think he's got a nerve.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this blog, its getting so many people talking/fighting/verbally abusing!!!! by the way I am feeling ok today after my life changing stem cell transplant Ha Ha

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mike and I have always fought and verbally abused (usually with you!).

    Glad your day in proved fruitful. Have another one tomorrow, go on, put your feet up and think of stampeding elephants!

    Wonder how the Riverdance is going (be still my tapping feet).

    Hope you have a good night.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Diane,
    A quote from Averil's half time text " IF I THOUGHT I WAS GOING LOVE IT, I AM BLOWN AWAY, THEY ARE FANTASIC LIVE, WOW WOW WOW"

    ReplyDelete
  13. Doesn't like it then?

    ReplyDelete